Monday, 6 August 2012

Avery Allen - Interview

Avery Allen has a number of projects on the burner, she is currently recording guitars for a debut album with Evil Child and she has also has played with Danny B. Harvey and Ivan Julian.  She took some time out from her hectic schedule to talk to me.

Avery Allen
Gerry:
You currently play in quite a few groups (Evil Child, Danny B. Harvey & Ivan Julian), do you manage to find any free time at all?


Avery:
Well, sort of. I'm training for the Brooklyn marathon in November, so once you add that into the mix, I really have no time at all.


Gerry:
What’s it been like playing bass with Danny B. Harvey? Have you met Lemmy?


Avery:
Danny is great. He's been a huge help and supporter of me from the get go. He's incredibly talented and is a huge supporter of female musicians. I've met Lemmy quite a few times. He is a perfect gentleman and incredibly well mannered for being, well, a heavy metal rock n roll god. I wouldn't call us friends or anything, but I know him well enough for him to say hi first and offer to buy me a drink, and I think that's enough for anyone!


Gerry:
Cool, Do you prefer playing guitar instead of bass? If so why?


Avery:
I don't really prefer one over the other, they're different instruments with different feels. However, since I do most of my writing on guitar, I'd say I'm more comfortable with it than the bass.


Gerry:
Where has been your favourite venue to play at so far?


Avery:
Well, as far as smaller clubs there is this place in Toronto called Bovine Sex Club that I played recently with Ivan that's pretty cool, also Emo's in Austin, Safari Sam's in LA (it's closed now), and Launch Pad in Albuquerque.


Gerry:
How has the recording been going with Paul Kostabi?


Avery:
We've just gotten demos done, working on writing a few more songs to record the full album.


Gerry:
Where are you recording the debut album?


Avery:
Most likely it'll be at Paul's studio, Thunderdome here in New York.


Gerry:
What subjects/themes are you writing about?


Avery:
In this band (Evil Child) I'm just handling the riffs. I just write the music and send it on over to Mika, our singer, and she comes up with the lyrics.


Gerry:
Are there any guest appearances on the record?


Avery:
You'll have to wait and see!


Gerry:
Who are your main influences?


Avery:
I've always loved Billy Duffy from the Cult's guitar playing. A lot of the influence for this record comes from bands like Deep Purple, Rainbow (early Rainbow! with Dio, before they started sucking), UFO, heavy and dramatic is what we're about on this record.


Gerry:
What is the bands biggest weakness?


Avery:
We don't have a drummer! We have to use fill-ins for the shows and a studio drummer for the record until we find the right one.


Gerry:
Can you recommend any new bands to our readers?


Avery:
A few of my favourites are: Broken Teeth, Biters, Prima Donna, Jim Jones Revue, Riverboat Gamblers, Dirty Fences...the list goes on.


Gerry:
Who would you like to work with in the future?


Avery:
Anyone! Everyone!


Gerry:
Where will you be touring? Have you made any plans to visit the UK?


Avery:
Anywhere they'll have us. We'd love to come visit the UK in the near future.


Gerry:
Who would you like to tour with?


Avery:
Any of the bands listed above would suit me right down to the ground, also England's Night by Night would be a blast, we'll have to talk to those boys about getting us over there!


Follow Avery on Twitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment