Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Interview with Doris Yeh of Chthonic




I grabbed a quick word with Doris Yeh from Taiwanese metallers Chthonic this week.  The quintet are currently on tour in Germany.

Gerry:
How did you first get into metal music?


Doris:
When I was 18, I formed a rock music club in high school, at the same time I formed a band. Our guitarist introduced me to a lot of metal music at that time.


Gerry:
What bands were you influenced by and what bass players made you want to pick up the bass?


Doris:
Metallica, NIN, X-Japan, those bands influenced me a lot. My father was a bass player working at a TV station, so he also influenced me to pick up bass and learn how to play.


Gerry:
How easy was it to find out about metal music in your native country when you first discovered it?


Doris:
Nowadays it is very easy, you can easily find metal music via the internet! But back then I could only get metal music from a few friends, who were into this kind of music. They always got special ways getting hold of music.


Gerry:
You toured with Arch Enemy, did you learn anything from that experience? If so what did you learn?


Doris:
I think the way they run the band is professional. And also, they have friendly attitude toward to all support bands, they treat us like friends, not like a 'big' band.


Gerry:
How proud are you to have your own signature ESP Andromeda D bass?


Doris:
This is really exciting. All the design and devices were made based on my own requests. It's like you have your own sword for the battle. :)




Gerry:
How much input did you have with that project?


Doris:
From art design to every other detail like materials (woods) and pick-ups.


Gerry:
What is the best thing about touring, and what countries have you enjoyed visiting the most?


Doris:
The best thing about touring is always 'playing on the stage'. Nothing can compare to this. You sit in the van and travel for whole day, eating shit food and sometimes take cold shower in the venue, the only thing that can comfort your soul and make you feel worthy is 'playing on the stage'.  I think I love to tour Europe and Asia a bit more than any other area, so far! :D


Gerry:
Do fans react differently to you in certain countries?


Doris:
Yes, American and UK fans are always crazy, European fans are nice, Japanese are very high but also very polite, Taiwanese and Hong Kong fans make me feel warm, and Indonesian are crazy as hell!


Gerry:
Can you recommend any new bands from your homeland for our readers?


Doris:

Anthelion, Crescent Lament, Side effect, Beyond Cure.... they are very good bands!

Gerry:
Finally, you appeared on the cover of the June issue of FHM recently. Is this something you would like to pursue after Chthonic?


Doris:
Well, it's just a 'side project' of my career. I do modeling sometimes for magazines and press, but it's just for fun and I won't take it as a serious 'job'. And I'm just glad and lucky I have different life experiences than most other people do in this world, I really treasure those memories. :)



Chthonic are on tour in the UK in August.
Takasago Army is availble now via Spinefarm Records

No comments:

Post a Comment