Friday, 22 June 2012

Grace Perry - Landmine Marathon interview

Landmine Marathon


I grabbed a quick chat with Grace Perry last week, to talk about Landmine Marathon and why she wanted to get into music in the first place.

Gerry:
Who or what made you want to play music?

Grace:
The belief that extraterrestrial, inter-dimensional, quantum phasing, intelligent life dwells beyond the plain of existence we call reality plays a huge role my life and is the reason behind most everything I do, but as a child I would give credit to John K. Samson. Yes,  Propagandhi is not metal but it was the first band where I actually paid attention to the lyrics and it inspired me to start giving a shit about the world around me. Since then my taste in bands has obviously evolved but music will always be the best way for me to show I give a shit.

Gerry:
Give me a brief history of the band.

Grace:
When I was 18 I started a band called Osamabinsars whose sole purpose was to bum as many people out as possible. We were very good at that. Matt Martinez (bassist) was the promoter for one of our shows and approached me asking if I would like the start a grindcore band. Of course I said yes like any other mentally unstable  teenager of my generation would have.

Gerry:
What subjects do you sing about, what message are you trying to convey with this release?

Grace:
There is no one message we try to convey with each record. It evolves through a long drawn out writing process and eventually we come up with something that we can all be proud of. Lyrically the album Gallows revolves mainly around German folklore of the late 17th century.

Gerry:
Where was the album recorded?

Grace:
At our guitarist's studio Arcane Digital Recording in Phoenix, Arizona. All the records have been done there.

Gerry:
What were the biggest challenges for you and also for the band on this record?

Grace:
For me, not vomiting and pissing myself; as for the rest of the band it mainly was having time constraints, finish on time and be totally satisfied is a huge stress.

Gerry:
What bands can you recommend to fans of Landmine Marathon?

Grace:
Some more kind of recent bands that I enjoy are;
Black Breath, Chelsea Wolfe, The Black Angels & OFF!

Gerry:
What is wrong with heavy music today in your opinion? Is there anything wrong with it?

Grace:
Haha, I am the wrong person to ask. Of course there is, but when has there not been? People sit behind computers and argue about posers and tools, about who started what, about subgenres of subgenres. Everyone is a sell out and everyone is copying some other band. I don't have any answers for you except I love what I do and will never apologize for it.

Gerry:
What was the first concert you attended and how did you feel about it?

Grace:
My mother took me to see Elton John when I was a child. It was incredible and he continues to be one of my favorite artists.

Gerry:
What was your most memorable gig?

Grace:
Anytime I severely hurt myself, it's always memorable. In Long Beach, California a few years back I broke my nose and didn't realize it until after the set; there was blood everywhere. Getting to play Orion Fest this year will most likely be the most memorable show of my life.



Gallows is available now via Prosthetic Records.



No comments:

Post a Comment